+38269993314 [email protected]

FAQ About Life in Montenegro

There is much information about life in Montenegro on the internet, but we know that sometimes you just need an answer to a specific question. Therefore, here is a list of the most common questions we received from our website visitors and clients.

In addition, you can also check out our articles from the Life in Montenegro page.

If you have more questions or you think we should write about a specific topic, feel free to reach out.


  • How can I get a temporal residency?

You can get a temporal residency based on several grounds. The basic grounds are employment (including company ownership if you are the CEO), property ownership (except land), family reunification (for spouse and children only), secondary education, participation in programs of international student exchanges or other programs for the young, specialization or practical training, scientific research work, medical treatment, humanitarian reasons and conducting religious services. Therefore, if you meet one of these terms, you need to provide certain documentation and apply for your permanent residence before your visa or visa-free stay period expires. For additional information, you can contact us to schedule your free consultation.

  • Does Montenegro have a special program for Digital Nomads?

Yes, Montenegro offers a visa and a residence permit for digital nomads. The main requirements are to be employed at or own a foreign company and to have a monthly income of at least €1,350.00.  You can find the details here.

  • Can I get married in Montenegro as a foreigner?

Yes, you can get married as a foreigner, no matter if your spouse is also a foreigner or a local. You will need to provide some documentation from your home country, but you won’t have a problem. Note that beneficial marriages to locals for citizenship or residency are illegal.

  • How do I get a copy of my property title (list nepokretnosti)?

You need to file a request to the cadaster in the municipality where your property is located. Besides the request which you can download here, you need to pay €2.00 to the bank account 832-1082-55 (Montenegro Budget) and €3.00 to the bank account 832-1081-58 (for Montenegro Property Register) and bring the requests, payment receipts, and a copy of your passport to the cadaster to file the request.

  • Is my driving license valid in Montenegro?

Yes, your driving license will be valid in Montenegro. Besides the driving license from your country, you can also use an international driving license. Moreover, if you have a temporal or permanent residence in Montenegro, you must change your driving license and get a Montenegrin one. In this case, you don’t need to do a driving test, since the information from your driving license will just be presented in the Montenegrin license.

  • Can I get a residence permit if my child attends a school in Montenegro?

The residence permit for study or student exchange applies only to the student. Therefore, as a parent, you cannot obtain a residence permit on this ground.

  • Can I get an extension for my 90-day stay in Montenegro?

No, the only way to stay more is to apply for a temporal residence based on employment, property ownership, or another purpose.

  • Is Montenegro vegan/vegetarian friendly?

Although many people don’t perceive it like that, Montenegro is a vegan and vegetarian-friendly destination. Actually, many Montenegrin national dishes are vegetarian. When it comes to vegan food, you have special food sections in large supermarkets. And more and more restaurants offer vegan menus.

Doing Business

  • Can I get a temporal residency by starting a small company?

Yes, you can get a temporal residency based on a working permit if you register a company and register yourself as the CEO. You can be the only employee in your company. For more detailed information, feel free to read about resident permits, or contact us and schedule your free consultation.

  • Can I own a company in Montenegro?

Yes, there are no limitations for you as a foreigner to own a whole or a part of a company.

  • Can I work for a Montenegrin company?

Yes, you can work for any Montenegrin company, but you will need to obtain a working permit (or the company will do it for you).

  • Can I register a company in Montenegro remotely?

Yes, you can register a company in Montenegro remotely, but only by authorizing someone who is actually in Montenegro and can file your documents to the company registry. Like a Bird offers remote company incorporation options, so you can check out our services page or contact us to schedule a free consultation.

  • Can I open a bank account remotely?

It’s not possible to open a bank account in Montenegro without the personal presence of the account holder or the CEO if it’s a company account. We can provide assistance with the documentation, so feel free to contact us.

  • How can I register a property as a holiday rental?

If you want to rent out your property to tourists, there is a fair bit of documentation you need to prepare to register. The registration is done in the municipality where your property is located. You’ll need to present a request for categorization of your property, a property ownership document (list nepokretnosti), a use permit, tax confirmation from the municipal tax office, tax confirmation from the regional tax office, confirmation that communal taxes are paid, payment receipt for a €10.00 municipal administration fee and a payment receipt for a €10.00 for municipal commission (both fees are paid to the municipality bank account). It takes up to 15 days for the municipality to process the request and approve registration. For more details, you can visit the tourism section of the Ministry of Economic Development website, or contact us.

  • Do I need to register a company to be able to register my property as a holiday rental?

No, you can register your holiday rental as a person with proper documentation.

  • Do I need a special license to start a company in Montenegro?

In general, you don’t need such a license, except if your company will be in a business that requires a license by law (medical practice, medicine distribution, weapons trade, etc.).

  • Do I need to have a residence or working permit to register a company in Montenegro?

No, to be the owner of a company in Montenegro you don’t need a residence or a working permit.


Housing and Accommodation

  • Do I have any limitations to renting a property?

No, you can rent any property you want as a foreigner.

  • How can I rent a property, what fees do I pay?

If you want to rent an apartment, there is usually no fee for you as a tenant, except for the monthly rent price. Mediators usually charge their fees from the owner, who also pays taxes if applicable. However, utilities are usually not included in rent, so you pay them separately. In addition, the usual standard is also a one-rent deposit you pay upfront and the owner gives it back to you if everything is ok in the apartment when you move out. If you want to explore offers, check out our long-term rentals page or contact us, or visit one of the many real estate agencies in Montenegro.

  • Is it better to get a house or an apartment?

This really depends on your personal preference. Montenegrin cities are not big, so if you get a house, it doesn’t mean you will need a lot of time to get to the city. If you want to have a backyard and a garden, we recommend the wider area of Podgorica, although you can also have it on the coast, but at a significantly higher price.

  • Can I buy a property in Montenegro?

Yes, as a foreigner you can buy a property in Montenegro and you get freehold ownership, which means there is no time limitation. The only exemption is agricultural land, of which you cannot own more than 5,000m².

  • What fees do I pay if I buy a property in Montenegro?

When buying a property, you pay the property transfer tax, which is 3% of the property price. However, if you are buying a newly built apartment, in that case, you need to pay a standard VAT rate of 21%. As a buyer, you usually don’t pay agency fees, since their commission is covered by the seller. In addition, it is also common that the buyer pays the public notary fee, but sometimes the buyer and the seller split it


Do you have more questions?

Contact Us

If you haven’t found the answer you were looking for, feel free to write to us.

    Our Services

    Resident and Working Permits

    We provide full service for your relocation to Montenegro:

    • Resident and working permits
    • Digital nomad residence
    • Resident permits for property owners
    • Permanent residence

    Company          Registration

    We are your one-stop shop for company registration in Montenegro:

    • LLC registration
    • Preparation of founding documents
    • Bank account opening
    • Virtual office address and CEO registration

    Accounting and Corporate Services

    With our partners we provide a full set of accounting and corporate services:

    • Accounting
    • Mandatory monthly and yearly tax filing
    • Workers’ registration
    • Tax advisory

    Remote Operations and Centers Set Up

    Decrease your expenses by setting up remote operations in Montenegro:

    • Customer support centers
    • Dispatch centers
    • Call centers
    • IT development centers with skilful local worforce

    Corporate Remote Work Retreats

    Set up a corporate remote work retreat in Montenegro for your team:

    • Choose a coastal or mountain retreat
    • Customize your teams’ experience
    • Work in beautiful surroundings
    • Unique team-building experience

    Long-Term Accommodation Rentals

    Depending on your preference, we are offering short and long-term rentals:

    • Apartments
    • Houses with backyards
    • Long-term hotel accommodation
    • Select your property remotely via video service

    Virtual and Real Office Rent

    We are offering a vast choice of offices and co-working spaces:

    • Virtual office address
    • Co-working spaces
    • Fully equipped office spaces of various sizes
    • Conference and meeting venues

    Montenegro Tours and Exploring

    We are offering various tours to explore and get to know Montenegro:

    • Sightseeing
    • Active tours – hiking, biking, canyoning, sailing, etc.
    • Wining and dining
    • Travel companions

    Long-Term                    Rent-a-Car

    You can count on us to offer you long-term vehicle rent:

    • Bikes
    • Motorbikes and scooters
    • Various cars, depending on your preferences
    • Vans and minivans